Ancient beauty secrets are coming back in a major way and a surprising ingredient has found its way into the products that women use in their beauty regiments. Activated Charcoal has become the go-to product of the year showing up in everything from skin care, toothpaste and skin lightening products. Activated charcoal absorbs toxins and Adsorbtion, not absorption, works by electrical attraction, pulling molecules, atoms and ions towards its surface and sticking to it, not becoming one with it. Beauty experts have found that a.c. absorbs toxins in the skin as well making it a perfect ingredient for everything from facial masks, underarm lightening and surprisingly toothpaste. As a self-proclaimed product junkie I am intrigued and delighted to find a new, natural product to add to my beauty routine. So here are a few interesting uses for activated charcoal that you can try at your leisure.
First things first, indulging in new beauty products can get expensive so hit up Amazon.com where a 4 ounce size will run you $5 or less. The packaging is less than ideal so be careful opening the package. A little activated charcoal goes a long way so you have time to get the full benefits of this product and try the product in a few different ways.
Skin Care — Face Mask
I indulge in Self Care Sunday. I wash and deep condition my hair, give my self a facial and a good mani-pedi. It is relaxing and helps me get my mind right for the upcoming week.Charcoal draws impurities out of your skin so steam your face first.
Rose water or plain water if you are sensitive
Aloe vera gel
(optional) tea tree oil
Mix half a teaspoon of each ingredient (only use a drop or two of the teat tree oil) stir until it forms a paste and apply to skin. Simple right! Let the mask dry and wash with warm water. Beware this mixture can get messy!
Whitening your teeth does not have to be expensive, damaging or time consuming!
- Wet your toothbrush well.
- Place toothbrush on top of a napkin, piece of toilet paper, or paper towel.
- Carefully open your container of activated charcoal.
- Empty activated charcoal powder onto toothbrush.
- Start brushing! …
- Gently brush for 3 to 5 minutes.
Detox and Lighten Underarms
A great advantage to doing an armpit detox, besides that it helps speed up the natural deodorant adjustment period, is that it might help pull some of these chemicals out of the skin and tissue of the armpits. This can be especially helpful after years of conventional deodorant use.
To Detox your armpits try this….
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water (to get right consistency)
- Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until about the consistency of sour cream.
- Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. I suggest starting slowly and working up to a longer period of time once you see how your body adjust. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
- This may cause some redness as it will increase blood-flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.
- Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until under-arm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
To Lighten Underarms
-1 tbsp. raw honey
-3 capsules of activated charcoal
-1 old or cheap foundation brush
-1 plastic bowl
Mix raw honey with activated charcoal (simply open capsules and pour over honey). Mix well with foundation brush before apply to clean armpit. Apply to whole area and keep on for 20 minutes. Your body will heat the mixture and start to run so wear an old tank top (or go au natural!)
Rinse with warm water and see the difference. You can do this weekly to see more lightening.
Let me know how activated charcoal works for you!